With a team of fully qualified and experienced Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) specialists, we are able to offer an extremely effective treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder to patients all over the UK and further afield.
The majority of patients elect to join one of our DBT Skills Groups, which meet every week, but we also provide 1-2-1 therapy for those who are unable to participate in group sessions. Whichever option you choose, you will be guided by a sympathetic and knowledgeable DBT therapist throughout each session, as you learn the skills you need to regulate your emotions and remain calm in distressing situations.
Before enrolling in a course, we ask all patients to book an assessment with one of our therapists, which will take place online. There is an initial charge for this service but it will be credited against your first treatment invoice in the event you decide to go ahead with the treatment we offer. The purpose of the assessment is to evaluate both the scope and the severity of the symptoms you are experiencing and to make sure that DBT therapy really is the very best treatment for you.
How a DBT Therapist Can Help You
If you have never heard of Dialectic Behavioural Therapy before, you may be wondering how exactly a DBT therapist can help you to make significant changes in your life when other treatment modalities have failed.
- Specialised Treatment – DBT was developed specifically to help treat BPD sufferers more effectively. Based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), it is a highly-focused treatment option that has already helped many people from all over the world. Scientific studies have revealed that in more than three-quarters of cases where DBT is used to treat BPD, the patient is able to reduce their symptoms to a level where they are no longer classified as suffering from this challenging mental health disorder. Of those who do not achieve this aim, most are still able to reduce their symptoms to a point where they are able to live a happy and fruitful life.
- Focused on Acquiring Practical Skills – Some types of therapy for mental health disorders focus almost exclusively on trying to identify the root cause, which involves examining your past in great detail. DBT, on the other hand, focuses on teaching you the skills you need to take control of your life. As you progress through the 4 core modules of DBT, you will discover new ways in which you can regulate your emotions and interact with your environment in a more measured and calm manner.
- Practising Your New Skills – Learning new skills and techniques to regulate your emotions can help you to reduce your symptoms significantly, as the earlier mentioned studies have illustrated. However, in order to be able to use these skills effectively, you will need to fully internalise them. The best way to achieve this aim is with regular practice. In a group setting, you will have plenty of opportunities to practise the skills you are learning, to the point where you will be able to employ each skill effortlessly whenever you are facing a tough situation and feel like you are in danger of losing control.
- Support in a Crisis – In addition to leading group sessions, our therapists are available to help in the event of a crisis that occurs in between sessions. If you find that you are unable to cope and need urgent assistance, you can call and speak to a DBT therapist, at no extra charge. We provide this service to make sure every patient has the support they need whilst working on acquiring the new skills being taught.
- Effective Treatment without Having to Leave Your Home – One of the biggest stumbling blocks to recovery for many people is the difficulties involved with getting to a distant clinic once a week. With our online treatment option, you don’t have to worry about this: you can join your weekly skills group from your own kitchen, bedroom or even your garden if you desire.
Book Your Initial Assessment Now to Get Started.
Now that you know how a DBT therapist can help you, please feel free to book your initial assessment on our website right now.